Monday, July 19, 2021

Where your dog takes you. . .

Towpath along the Delaware River
Kintnersville proved to be an interesting spot, in spite of John's having to be in meetings, and the weather often too hot for Jasper and I. We have become consummate heat weenies. But that inspired us to get out early, just like in Idaho. Cooler and moister, but very much the same level of comfort or discomfort. Our landlady recommended a walk on the canal, which runs all along the river, but the entry points are often elusive. We found this one. A lock area that gives entry onto the path, though there is just a small pull off across a very winding two lane road. Shoulders? Don't be silly. This path was so like the paths I used to walk on in DC. . .the canal has a two lane path between it and the river. All lush lush lush.
 
It was warm, but not too hot, and we walked for over a mile before coming to a bridge that went back over the canal, and across the road was a restaurant called The Narrows. It had a patio, so of course Jasper was interested in the menu. It was early (8:30a or so), so we noted the place, and walked back. 
My Dad once talked about flying back from a conference in Omaha. He said that when they flew over the Mississippi River, the land below suddenly looked like a jungle. . .more so as they made the descent into Washington National Airport. I was reminded of that when I saw this old power plant. It looks like it's being taken back over by the vegetation.
 
One of my favorite new memories is seeing the Queen Anne's Lace blooming crazy. Thank you Bob Dylan.We have very little of this in the Boise area. I think it prefers more water, and perhaps more acid soil. We DO have a lot of yarrow, which seems to occupy a similar niche in our high desert climate.

The best part of the day was to come, however. We had some pretty amazing thunderstorms throughout the day, but I took a chance and made reservations at The Narrows anyway. The Narrows Restaurant 
 
For 7:15p, thinking that the weather might settle by then. Ha. 
I had called ahead, and explained the situation, and the staff seemed game. It was cloudy but dry when we got there, but we were the only brave souls who sat on the patio. Jasper got his water, and once again proved he was up for the Urban Life. Inexperienced, but willing to learn. We got our drinks and appetizer (Tuna Tartare), and it was just then that it started to rain. A young man who worked there put the awning up over us, and then the rain really got going. And lightning. And thunder. Oh My.

It was Magic. See for yourself.


The food, by the way, was incredible. I'm thinking the chef must have been a famous city guy who decided to slow down in Rural Eastern Pennsylvania. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I know I'm slow to post these days. . .lots is not happening in Nashua, New Hampshire, but this post is long enough. Nashua can wait. . .

.



No comments:

Post a Comment