Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Old Quarry Road Trails: Exploring

 

The DC area where I grew up had lots of fall color development. And if we needed more, the Blue Ridge Mountains were a short drive away. Still. I had forgotten how color develops. When we first got here, we could see it changing every day. But the past couple of days have been warmer, and more importantly, the nights have been warmer (only down to 60F), so color is changing more slowly. And of course, the incredible variety of tree species is what makes it so complex. 

 

Today Jasper and I drove to our hike, instead of taking the one out our door. Colby College is a ten minute drive down a busy strip of, well, strip malls, then onto the green academic-looking environs of the college. You know you're in a different climate zone when the signs say "hiking and dog walking not allowed during the winter" on many of the trails. That's because they groom them for cross-country skiing. Fortunately, we're still in hiking/dog season, so I was free to go anywhere, but I chose a trail marked for snow shoeing, just because it looked so lovely. And I thought "I need to get a map". Actually, I've been thinking that a lot here lately. Learning a new area. . . with five large lakes that make simply going from East to West impossible, as well as getting my compass directions in order has proved challenging for my old-ish brain. Fortunately, I learned to fail at things a long time ago, so I often get lost. What is lost can usually be found!

But back to the trail. It wound around the woods to run along the Messalongskee stream which runs through the campus. I always love to walk with water. Jasper seemed ok with it too. I worry that he has had too much change (and now no rugs or furniture) in the past year and a half, but he seems to accept it all in good form. He has learned that it's not ok to whiz ANYWHERE in Home Depot, even if other dogs have. He does me proud every time we go there. (Which is often, of course!)

I, on the other hand, would just about kill for a patio chair. Our stuff is not due to arrive until sometime next week (hopefully early in the week!), and 7 days with no furniture, and my back is letting me know that the air mattress and the cheap bar-stools we purchased at Walmart are not quite up to old lady standards. We have also painted 2 rooms and a wall, which is more taxing than it once was. So far, better living through chemistry has gotten me through, but this is not an old person's game!

Still. We sat on our rotting deck steps this evening drinking bourbon and scotch (John, Me), and watching the sun set, and found it hard to complain. Jasper prances and dances with a stick when we walk up the drive to check the mail, and the two pots we were able to fit in the Prius on the way out are enough for decent dinner. We just might belong here.



No comments:

Post a Comment